Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

I'm only effective in the Slackware Boot/Root/BootCD domain.
How wimpy is the system? Is RAM a problem?  Perhaps you need a toned down
bootdisk?

When I get in a jam (all things being equal), I boot off the Slackware
Install CD and type 'mount root=/dev/hda4'. (My Linux partition.)
When I get in a jam and my stupid ATA66 card is a punk and needs a
specific kernel, I boot off Slackware Boot and Root disks and do the same
command.  With 'mount' being the image name from hitting <tab>.

You might need to edit your /etc/fstab as well to make sure the entree
for the root partition is correct.

(An idea (baised of course): Make a Slackware boot and root disk (or
Tom's boot and root!), then mount your linux partition under /mnt.  Go in
and edit /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab.  Then while in /mnt do a
'chroot . bash' and then run lilo.  Praying seems to help.  Sometimes it
requires a quarter as well... (Too much MAME on the box I suppose.)

Good Luck!
-Tom
tlburnett@ucdavis.edu
tom@gamerzday.com