Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

Re: [vox] repairing LILO on RH 7.1 install.

Yeah, I thought it would be pretty straight forward myself.

In my (admittedly limited) experience with recovery disks, the process went
something like this:

1) Put bootable CD into CD drive or floppy into fd0
2) Wait for LILO boot:
3) Type 'linux single root=/dev/hda1 initrd=' (the 'initrd=' is to prevent a
ramdisk from being loaded).
4) Watch all the pretty boot messages.  When the login: prompt appears, log
in as root.
5) Edit /etc/lilo.conf, make sure the default boot is /dev/hda1, run lilo.
6) Reboot without any disks in the removable drives.

Things that have gotten me before would be forgetting to set the hard drive
to master (not a problem here, since both drives had been master), passing
the wrong partition using root=, and forgetting about initrd= and having an
initial ramdisk load...

I guess, if this process doesn't work, I'm out of ideas...  Anyone else
wanna give it a go?

-- Geoffrey

begin  John McDonnell quotation: