[vox] [OT] DSL, Novato, T-Fire, etc.

So we got DSL at work today.  We're one block away from the central office
(CO) so we're getting real fast connection; the DSL install person rated
our line at 1.5Mbps downstream, 128Kbps upstream -- the maximum possible
out of ADSL! :)

Sadly, I still can't get DSL at my Novato home.  I asked the DSL guy about
the telephone wirings in the area.  He's told me GTE has no DSLAMs (the
equipment on the other end of your DSL "modem") so you can't get DSL if
you're in GTE coverage area (vs. Pacbell coverage area).  This seems
contrary to what some websites say ("GTE has to verify your distance blah
blah blah"), but according to www.dslreports.com GTE has like half a dozen
COs in Novato but only one capable of DSL so maybe it's mostly true.
Anyway, Mark (the DSL installer) said Pacbell has some DSLAMs in GTE COs
but they're not using them... :(

Anyway, Mark told me to checkout Sonic's wireless DSL (which I've already
done and found out I'm out of range).  He also mentioned something
pronounced "tee fire" (T-Fire?) that ATG is making that's supposed to give
T1-like speeds at DSL-like connection.  Anyway, I haven't seen any mention
of T-Fire on ATG's website so I'm in a little wonderment...  I think it
may not have been deployed yet, but I was wondering if anyone knows about
it?

Thanks!

-Mark

--