Re: [vox] No DSL, no cable -- options? [amended]

On 13 Jul 2001 03:19 PM or thereabouts, Yamara wrote:

> I know that in Davis, they ran fiber to get telephone across highway 113.
> They couldn't run DSL over the fiber, so west Davis was cut off.

Yeah...

Too cheap to install a DSLAM on this side of the tracks, really.  The
only issue with fiber is the need for further hardware at the transition to
copper.  One DSLAM could service all of west davis with high-speed DSL...
same with Mace Ranch in East Davis.

Same basic reason there's no cable modem service in Davis. (all of the cable
infrastructure in Davis was replaced/rebuilt 3-5 years ago, and since TCI
hasn't recouped those costs, they're not about to install a 'broadband'
cable network)

<grrr>

--Matthew
infinite@sigkill.com

--
  "There are a thousand forms of subversion, but few can equal the
   convenience and immediacy of a cream pie"