Re: [vox] Dual Boot: Win2K+Linux

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Shwaine wrote:
> For those who were wondering how to dual boot Win2K and Linux at the
> meeting last night, here's what I did today that worked beautifully.
> First,
> OS particulars:
>
> Linux:  Slackware -current (downloaded June 18th), 2.2.19 kernel
> Win2K:  Windows 2000 Professional
>
> I started with a clean drive. First I installed Win2K on an NTFS
> partion located at the start of the drive (/dev/hda1).

As an alternative, if you have a larger disk (~10Gb or more) and the drive
have more than 1024Cyls and you are using LILO and have a machine where
LILO is not able to see past the 1024 cyl boundary, You allocate at least
1Gb at the first partition as an EXT2 and reserve it for "/".

(As long as the Booting OS (many) are located within that 1024 cyl
boundary, once booted, you can have plenty of "Drives" or "volumes"
mounted by the OS to deal with the whole disk and use the rest of
the disk. Slave drives can also be used as well as secodary masters
(Assuming IDE/ATA not SCSI etc.))

Next Make a partition for Windows with FDISK from linux in the next range
immediately after that. A minimum of 3 Gb for Win2K Advanced Server
Edition, and 2 Gb for Professional Edition.

If you want to also have Windows ME on the same box, then make the windows
2k partition an NTFS filesystem. (This also gives you Appletalk FS/Print
Sharing when using Advanced Server edition.)

Then make a 3rd partition as LBA FAT 32 for Windows ME (If you will use
it)

Last make the last available primary into an extended and the allocate
"logical" partitions for linux to include special the
"swap" partition followed by "/var", "/usr", "/home".

Theoretically, placing swap in the middle of the disk between the full
range of access partitions/volumes would decrease seek time on the average
from any place on the disk. (Ideally, Swap would be on a separate high
speed bus with a single disk, but that can be a bit expensive. :-)
(I Wite theoretically, since I have not benchmarked this with IDE/SCSI
drives and have only assumed this and read about it
elswhere. Theoretically, placing swap at either end of the disk, would
ensure longest seek times from any other location of the disk on
average. Also, splitting your linux partitions with windows FAT/NTFS
partitions can create time loss and speed loss for seek too, but if you
only have 1 disk and want a 3-way booting OS, then your priority is not
speed. =-)

This can often allow you to have all partitions with booting OS within the
forsth 1024 Cyls. All kernels should be save within the "/" mounted
partition for LILO so they will always end up in a space on disk before
the 1024th cyl if that would be a problem.

Reasons for making windows 2k use NTFS include forcing Windows 2k and
windows ME to have different partitions for what each call their
"C:" drives. If you have WinME on second partition right after linux, then
Windows 2K sees the FAT as "C:" and will want to install
there. Installation of W2K in C: with Win ME on C (even in diff
locations) spells trouble.

Of course, from Linux you can access both NTFS and FAT fs, but ntfs is
readonly from linux with write access as "alpha" almost "beta"

Windows ME and 2K installed first allows lilo to come in next and then use
of the "other" modifyer can allow you to have a 3 way booting
system. (More booting systems are also possible, but often require larger
disks. :-)

Also, using fdisk with linux to make the partitions helps to ensure that
the boundaries used are industry standard. Within the Windows 2K instal,
you can even delete the NTFS style partition you reserved for Win2K and
create a new one to use all of its remaining space since it will be forced
to stop at the boundary imposed by the other created partitions.

(There were issues with windows NT FDISK not stopping on the same boundary
as FDISK used with linux or even DOS. No problems would exist in many
cases until the overlapping partition was over-written by one OS or the
other and mangled files for the other. This has probably been fixed by
now, but...)

Congrats on getting your system set up as you want it!

-ME