Re: [vox] cookie recipe

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, William Kendrick wrote:
> Christine brought some yummy cookies to last night's LUGOD meeting.
> I heard someone wanted the recipe, so here's what I got out of her
> over IRC :)
>
>   * Redqueen didn't follow a recipe...

OK, I'll say how I made them, and if anyone is brave enough to try to
duplicate this, go for it:

about 2-1/2 c. of unbleached flour
1 t. baking soda
4 shakes from a salt shaker that looks like a miniature canning jar
2 sticks of margarine
about 1/2 cup of superfine white sugar
about 5/8 box of brown sugar (use it on oatmeal for a few weeks, and the
  part that's left in the box after that is the right amount)
somewhere between 2 and 3 t. vanilla extract
an egg

Pre-heat oven to 375

Place the rock-hard remainder of the brown sugar box into a mixing bowl
along with 2 sticks of margarine that are too cold.  Nuke this,
occasionally pausing to poke at it with a fork.  Continue to nuke until
the margarine is all melted and the brown sugar can mix in.

Add all the other stuff above (flour, baking soda, white sugar, vanilla,
egg, salt) and stir until it looks more-or-less blended.  Divide the dough
into 2 bowls, one with about 7/16 and one with about 9/16.

To the 7/16 one, add about 1/3 of a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Because the dough is somewhat warm from the margarine and brown sugar,
most of the choc chips will melt and make a cool swirly design in the
dough.

To the 9/16 one, add about 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut from
Trader Joe's, an smashed-up over-ripe banana, and about 1 cup total of
nuts (comprised of a mixture of sliced almonds, broken up walnuts and pecans).

Using a dinner fork and spatula, place wads of dough onto an ungreased
airbake cookie sheet.  Bake for about 12 minutes, turn down heat to
350, bake for a few more minutes, answer phone (it's mom), run back into
kitchen and turn oven off, but leave the cookies in there, talk on the
phone for around 5 minutes, then remove cookie sheets from oven.

And if you give me proper encouragement, I'll also share my special recipe
for taco "meat" that includes, among other ingredients: peanut butter,
tofu, catsup, and soysauce.  Warning: Bill and Melissa had it for dinner
one time at my house, and seemed to enjoy it much better *before* they
heard what was in it :)