Re: [vox] Desirable job skills

> > > Oracle    223
> > > Sybase     49
> > > MySQL       5
> > > Postgres[ql] 0  Too bad, this is my favorite DBMS
> >
> > but it makes perfect sense, doesn't it?  i mean, if something is truly
> good,
> > why would anyone want to give it away?   sounds suspicious to me!

Just a quick note to pass the word:

A pretty old RDMS just released it's code to open source.  It's a MUMPS
interpreter and RDMS.  It's a DB system that was invented in the sixties for
Hospitals.  But since then, has been applied to all sorts of db apps (at my
work, we use a proprietary equivalent of the same thing).  Anyhoo, it's
_really_ fast.  It can support hundreds of users doing updates to the same
tables with a pretty fair perfomance (I am speaking of the proprietary, but I
have heard the open source compares well).  And it does all the things that an
industrial strength db should do (transaction journalling, etc).  I am anxious
to try out the new source version of this project.

It's called GT.M.  You can find it on sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sanchez-gtm/

If anyone decides that they want to try it out, and need some help, I work with
Mumps/ M alot, so if help is needed, please let me know.  :)