RE: [vox] Win2000 crashes

Stephen, you make some _really_ good points here, and I tend to agree with you
on them all.

Most of the time when I am raving about linux, it's not because it's flawless,
but for these reasons:

1.  Linux is free.

2.  People are _always_ working on every aspect of the os (the tools, the
kernel, etc).

3.  Documentation is easily found, and is very high-quality.

I don't really have that many problems with Windoze.  I just think that if you
pay money for a product, it should be better than than the free alternative.
Right now, I don't think that's the case, and I use linux.  I don't really have
problems with alot of the other os's out there (AIX, Solaris, HPUX, etc.)
But I LOVE linux for the reasons mentioned above.  I don't think that any other
os can compare with it (as far as numbers one and three).

> <sp>  I really am OS agnostic.  I think that Linux can really become a
> powerful presence in the IT world and that that is a 'Good Thing'(tm).  I
> just think we are better off by extolling the specific virtues of a platform
> than by tearing down one with generalities.  More people with have issues
> with an OS that MORE people see(windows).  I didn't even know that Macs fail
> with a Bomb until a friend who works on them told me about it.  How many
> poeple on this list have seen a kernel panic?  I have had my Linux system
> lock up more than my Windows system (good hardware too).  I suspect that it
> is because I am much better with Windows than because Linux is inherently
> buggy.
>
> <sp>  Oh, someone asked earlier, Win2k is up to service pack 2.  And before
> someone says, "hah, windows needs patches!"  I understand that Mandrake 7.2
> needs a patch for something or other? j/k  :)

No programmer is perfect.  Everyone needs to correct their mistakes.  RedHat 7
was trash, but I still got the fixes and was happy with it afterward.  Yea, I
bitched about it, but we bitch about everything that's wrong, don't we
(bitching is fun to a point, at least I think so).

> Good conversation.

:)  I like the conversation on this list.  Everyone is _really_ intelligent,
sensitive to the other side, and has really good points to make.  I really love
how people can speak their mind, yet not get caught in flamewars.

LUGOD kicks ass!