Re: [vox] RPC - where to learn ASAP?

I have already printed and read the RFC's, a little too vague.

This is a perplexing project.  I am attempted to write code to replace an old product that did the following:

SUN machine makes RPC client call.

IBM machine has RPC product (Sybase Open Server Connect) which is writen in assembly and COBOL and some object code.  First I had to go back in time to understand why this wasn't C code?  IBM was EBCDIC, didn't have a C compiler  and TCP/IP didn't run native.  So the SYBASE folks saw opportunity for $$$ and ported the RPC ASCII C code to IBM Assembly, and then all you had to do (a lot) was make a whole bunch of COBOL programs that took the RPC input to make calls to your ADABAS database, and return the output to the client.  Now they no longer support their product, but continue to charge for it.  The platform is moving to another datacenter's larger computer.  Rather then buy the product again and pay more, we are trying to rewrite it. <This sounds like a justification for public license software in itself !>

I had hoped to find C code and would then toss the proprietary and write my own RPC handling in C.  Current version of IBM's mainframe operating system has a C compiler and has native RPC support & TCP/IP.  I can still write C code.

So what does all this have to do with Linux?  This may get ported to Linux soon.

So, oh  well may have to wait for the book, wanted to see the movie first.

Don

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:20:11AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> begin: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.com> quote
> > On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 10:39:33AM -0700, Donald Dunn wrote:
> > > Anyone know of a good place on the net to learn RPC quickly?
> > > I've ordered the O'Reilly book on RPC, but need something sooner
> > > then this will arrive.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Don Dunn
> >
> > You could search www.faqs.org for the RFCS...
>
> the rfc's?  i'd hate to see what you use for non-quick studying...   ;)
>
> pete

Usually the RFCs are pretty concise, and as long as I understand the
background material, they can be a quicker read (since they don't add
fluff).

Normally, I'd recommend something more palatable; but what else can I
reccomend that he can get *today*?

Micah