Re: [vox] Lists

On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin: John McDonnell <johnmc@johnmc.org> quote
> > On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, -/\/\/\- (Mister Resistor) wrote:
> >
> > > I apologize for any repeat messages.  LUGOD generates so much mail
> >
> > heh, you think LUGOD's high volume, try ILUG (linux.ie) or
> > (void)(slab.org) !
>
> heh -- i laugh.  about half a year ago, i subscribed to the linux kernel
> mailing list before going to school for the day.  big mistake.   :)
>
> i came home later that night with well over 300 messages (just from that list
> alone) in my inbox.

I regard this as an argument for newsgroups.

> > > LUGOD might be better served by a newsgroup server for the 'vox' list,
> >
> > I am wholeheartedly against this. I don't read newsgroups. I don't like
> > 'em. The mailing list works well for what it does.
> > A decent mail reader should allow you to view by thread at any rate.
>
> agreed.  the only good thing about newsgroups is deja.com.   ;-)

You mean groups.google.com?

Newsgroups have some advantages:
1) my mailbox doesn't fill up when I fail to check my mail for awhile.
   stale news is usually stale.
2) from the perspective of a sysadmin supporting people with shared
   interests, less file duplication occurs.

They also have some disadvantages:
1) spam control is tougher
2) the retention period is subject to the sysadmin's control, not yours.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing