Re: [vox] Mandrake Linux Firewall

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Eric wrote:

> [...]  When I read vox-tech, I do so
> because I am craving some technical insight... this on
> vox, to me, *is noise*, or at least extremely odd that
> the person posting did not think to put it on
> vox-tech.
>
> --- Donald Dunn <VNDDUNN@lottery.state.ca.us> wrote:
> > I'd like to load this at home for my cable firewall. [...]

OK, so in the last week or so, I've posted several things to this
newsgroup.  As near as I can figure from the last several posts here,
these could be broken down as follows:

cookie recipe -- questionable relationship to linux.  On the one hand,
they were served at a LUGOD meeting;  on the other hand, hey, it's a
recipe (maybe should have been posted on a Betty Crocker newsgroup
instead?)

long hair and linux -- has linux in the story, but possibly too much pulp.
I might have carefully edited it for "noise", and condensed it to a
3-sentence factual description of my previous and ongoing use for linux.
But many people find "just the facts" to be far less interesting and/or
memorable than facts accompanied by a bit of humorous context.  (For
example, be sure to check out my Very Important Factual Communication in
an upcoming issue of Theoretical And Applied Genetics, and note how far
you get before yawning.)

UPS question -- this could have been posted to vox-tech, but I don't
subscribe.  It's all I can do to try to soak up a bit of technical
information from vox-generic.  I could be wrong, but I have a feeling I'd
make more enemies than friends if I posted my "how do I turn on my linux
machine"-type questions to a technical newsgroup.  Vox-generic feels less
intimidating to me.

Banner banter -- yes, I can see how this would be considered "noise".  But
wandering threads give us a chance to get to know each other.  In the
short run, this would seem to have very little to do with linux;  in the
long run, it allows us to build relationships with each other which make
future technical interactions more comfortable.

I don't really care what the newsgroup "rules" end up being, as long as I
know what they are, and we don't end up so fragmented into "special
interest groups" that the whole social aspect of a LUG is lost.

These important messages brought to you by: Christine (and the numbers
zero and one)