Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 11:48:40AM -0700, Shwaine wrote:
> Yeah, and I'm a user who signed up to this list expecting to
> see discussions on Linux, not chatter.

Hehe, well, while I agree this has gotten out of hand, I'm reading
pretty much all of it just to see where it's going.  (If I really
didn't want to read the thread, I could just hit ESC+D in Mutt...
very excellent mail reader, btw!)

However, in defense of VOX, the list _is_ described on the website as:

  "A free-for-all discussion list"

As annoying as that can be sometimes, there is often pretty interesting
discussions on it, so that makes up for the flamewars and other tiresome
reads.

> If I wanted chatter, I'd log into the chat room.

Actually, the chat room is pretty dead most of the time, unfortunately.
(That's why I'm trying to mention it more at meetings and on the website...
I feel the like interaction can be pretty useful.  Unfortunately, most
of the IRC saavy people in this community (Linux-using Davis folks) hang
out in a well-established, but not-just-Linux-related IRC channel run
at ucdavis.edu)

If you'd rather not skim through VOX (esp. difficult if you're not using
a threaded mailreader), might I suggest signing up for just vox-tech and
vox-announce?

  vox-tech:       "Technical questions and discussion"
  vox-announce:   "A moderated, announcement-only list"

But, I'm assuming most people already know about these if they actually
saw the website. :)

> Label me what you will, but I expect
> email lists to be primarily utilitarian with minor chatting,
> especially when the groups have other forums for chatting
> (like the IRC channel). I dislike seeing my email program
> have to download 70+ messages if I forgot to check my email
> for a day and have most of that be useless chatter.

Hehe... I can't check e-mail over the weekend (no true 'net access
from my new home at this point... damned PacBell), and I'm surprised
to find _only_ 300 new messages in my inbox. :)

> This is  something my last LUG seemed to understand without the
> issue even having to be brought up.

Well, you'll discover that every LUG is different.  I've been to
7 different Linux/Unix users groups, and two computer user groups,
and all of them are quite different from each other.

I can't really say one group is better than the other, since I focus
on about 2.5 of them strongly, and don't participate in mailing lists
in many of the other groups, but they're all definitely different.