Re: [vox] Has RPC been replaced/supplemented?

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 08:19:22AM -0700, Donald Dunn wrote:

> I am starting to learn about distributed process from a programming
> perspective.  RPC is one way of doing this sort of thing.  The O'Reilly book I'm
> reading ceased being published in 1992 (that's a long time in computer years).  Has some newer technology replaced RPC calls, or have RPC's been supplemented substantially since this time?

CORBA and SOAP. See:

	http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/02/09/feature/index.html -- XML.com: Inside SOAP
	http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/tutorials-corba.html -- CORBA Tutorial Material
	http://developer.gnome.org/doc/whitepapers/ORBit/index.html -- CORBA Applications In GNOME

> In addition, anyone know what distributed protocol are used by NDIS & SAMBA?

Can't answer that one, sorry.

--
Henry House