[vox] Re: Shwaine's custom Boot Disks

I'm following the Linux Bootdisk HOWTO. The HOWTO gives a couple
of options at some points, so here's what I did at those points.
I chose
the LILO option in it to install the kernel. I used a ramdisk in
order to
build the root file system. I also custom-built the kernel and fine-
tuned
the root file system so both can fit on a 1600k formatted floppy
(fdformat
/dev/fd0u1600). The problem is not with the booting. It boots just
fine. It
just always says "RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid ramdisk image at 397"
(397 is the KERNEL_BLOCKS variable mentioned in the HOWTO) once
it gets to the point of trying to load the root system. I'm wondering
if the
problem is using 1600k formatting instead of 1440k. I haven't yet tried
specifying the disk geometry in LILO to check that. I really don't have
many other files I can pare down to get it to fit into 1440k. Oh,
and this
is a Slackware -current (downloaded June 18th) system using the
2.2.19 kernel. I have scripts to create the disk that I could post, but
they are rather long.

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, ME wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Shwaine wrote:
> > I meanwhile will be retreating to day 3 of my battle with homegrown
> > root/boot disks, pondering why the howto instructions work for two
> > seperate disks but blow up like a big stink bomb when using one
combined
> > disk.
>
> Asking some obvious questions here:
> If you are making a single boot disk installation system, I assume you
> have a root.bin file image saved on the same boot floppy as the
image and
> a copy of the kernel and a way to load the kernel on that floppy. Yes?
>
> You should probably use a minix filesystem for your root.bin image
and it
> can be hady to use the loopback interface to modify the image. You did
> this?
>
> Last, the readmes often say to write the root.bin image directly
to the
> floppy device (/dev/fd0). Obviously, if this was done, it would
over-write
> the boot sector and first parts of the booting floppy\ and render it
> useless. For this reason the root.bin should be save on the floppy
disk as
> a file, and you should copmpress it with something like gzip before
> storing it on the floppy.
>
> My recollection of making custom boot floppies for different distros
is a
> bit hazy. If you could refer to the document you are using, I might be
> able to offer some more suggestions on things to check.
>
> I seemed to recall you made the minix filesystem as an image and
stored
> all you wnated in the root fs on that image. Then you compress
the image
> with gzip (dont know if they ever included bzip2 supprt). If gzip
is used,
> try gzip --best filename. Then you rename the file to root.zip
and copy to
> the same floppy as the kernel disk *but* as a file, not written
directly
> to the device. Then a command line boot arguement handed to the
> linux kernel may include root=root.bin (if LOADLIN.EXE is used, for
> example.) This should cause the preload of the root.bin file with the
> kernel and avoid it asking you to insert the root.bin floppy.
>
> Now-a-days, it is becoming increasingly difficult to make universal
boot
> floppies with linux and all of the modules needed, and a root filesystem
> all on one floppy. It is however, still posible to compile your
own kernel
> with only the minimal options needed by you, no modules, and still
manage
> to et a minimal root filesystem in image format all on one floppy. :-)
>
> Ages ago I made custome debian boot floppes for 2.0 and 2.2 kernels
to get
> [...]

Shwaine the Wandering Arch of Malevolence
http://www.malevolence.com        telnet://mud.malevolence.com:3000