Re: [vox] Was: README.1ST, Now Shwaine's custom Boot Disks -feelfree to

Re: [vox] Was: README.1ST, Now Shwaine's custom Boot Disks -feelfree to change subject again if desired.

Sorry to reply to myself, but these parts needed clarification:

On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, ME wrote:
> Last, the readmes often say to write the root.bin image directly to the
> floppy device (/dev/fd0). Obviously, if this was done, it would over-write
> the boot sector and first parts of the booting floppy\ and render it
> useless. For this reason the root.bin should be save on the floppy disk as
> a file, and you should copmpress it with something like gzip before
> storing it on the floppy.

When the floppy disk chosen for root.bin is a *second* disk, it is fine
and expected to write it directly out to the floppy device, and that is
how it is read during boot. (cat file > dev/fd0) but if this is done when
writing to the boot disk with the kernel, you obviously have over-written
the boot sector. (Had to clarify this.)

> try gzip --best filename. Then you rename the file to root.zip
                                                             ^^^
root.bin

Dang, I am more tired than I thought. Please ignore the extra chars and
typos throughout the rest of the doc. :-/

My lack of skillz iz 5t@rting 2 540\/\/ bah...