Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Debi wrote:

> At 03:40 PM 6/22/01 , Mark K. Kim wrote:
> >Oh man~ we got minors on our list.
> >
> >-Mark
>
> And "we" have women who don't appreciate being viewed as objects or
> toys.  I've been thinking about joining, but now I wonder if this
> organization is for me...

1. If you didn't notice, there is a man in that picture. But the thing is, it
doesn't matter, because that image isn't sexist, it's geekxist. If any geeks
are offended by my satire of "sex sells" and the 137489163471346123483 porn
banners out there, please let me know.

> Here's a page for you,
> Gabe:  http://www.cs.utk.edu/~bartley/other/10Things.html
>
> Ten Things Men Can Do to End Sexism and Male Violence Against Women
>
> 1. Read about yourself. Read articles, essays, books about masculinity,
> gender inequality, and the root causes of sexual violence. Educate yourself
> and others about the connections between larger social forces and the
> conflicts between individual women and men.

And you should also read about yourself, read articles, essays, books about
geeks, iq inequality, and the root causes of social violence. Educate yourself
and others about the connections between larger social forces and the
conflicts between geeks and others.

> 2. Understand how your own attitudes and actions perpetuate sexism and
> violence, and work toward changing them.

You should also understand how your own attitutes and actions perpetuate
geekxism and violent, and work toward changing them.

> 3. Confront sexist, racist, homophobic and all other bigoted remarks or
> jokes. Boycott comedians such as Andrew Dice Clay who verbally assault
> women in their acts. Boo in comedy clubs when male comedians tell sexist
> jokes.

Be sure to confront and boycott people who make geek jokes or other verbal
assaults on geeks.

> 4. Recognize homophobia and speak out against gay-bashing. Discrimination
> against lesbians and gays is a key way in which we're all confined in
> restrictive gender roles.

Rocognize geekphobia, and speak out against geek bashing. Discrimation agains
geeks is a key way in which we're all confined in restrictive social roles.

> 5. Don't fund sexism. Don't purchase any magazine, rent any video or buy
> any piece of music that portrays women in a sexually degrading or violent
> manner. Protest sexism in the media.

Don't fund geekism. Don't purchase any magazine, rent any video or buy any
piece of music that does not uphold geeks and computational tools in the
highest regards.

> 6. Support candidates for political office who are committed to the full
> social, economic and political equality of women. Actively oppose
> candidates who are not.

Support geeks for political office.

> 7. Support and fight for increased state and federal funding for battered
> women's shelters and rape crisis centers. Volunteer where men are needed in
> public schools, youth outreach centers and political lobby groups.

Support and fight for beaten up geeks.

> 8. Support or propose curriculum changes, at every level of the educational
> system, which mandate courses and programs dealing with sexism and sexual
> violence. Urge coaches of boys' and men's athletic teams to require their
> players to attend workshops and seminars on sexism and male violence
> against women.

ooh, here's a good one. Support changes in education to further encourage and
support your local geek.

> 9. Organize or join a group of men, in school, at your workplace or among
> friends, to work against sexism and violence.

Organize a group of men and women, anywhere, to work against geekxism.

> 10. Support feminists. Commit yourself to ending oppression in all its forms.

Support geeks.

If you think my responce is silly, good. So do I. The point is:

don't attack something you don't understand.

> Thank you.
>

> >On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> >
> > > hey all,
> > >
> > > so, I thought to myself: if we want more members, we need some aggressive
> > > marketing.
> > >
> > > well, here's an idea
>
> <dumb idea snipped>

please, don't edit out the important part. You edited out _the_ most important
part:

> ;)

  ^^^^^^^
  important