Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

*sigh* what does politics have to do with Linux?

Not going to comment on the politics of this, but I want to point out the
logical issues at work here with one item in particular.

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Debi wrote:
[chop]
> 10. Support feminists. Commit yourself to ending oppression in all its
> forms.
[chop]

Few people use critical thinking in their reading or writing. One item
that is demonstrated above is "common acceptance" of a phrase vs.
"understanding of the actual meaning."

As an exercise, any time you see "support XYZ" or "power to the XYZ" you
should allow yourself time to choose another group in the same
classification and see if replacing their assignment or designation proves
to be politically incorrect.

In the above case, take "support feminists."

How many people would you find support this statement as much as
"support masculinism." ?

If one of the above bothers you and the other does not, then you are
prejudice in sexism - you have a preconceived notion of how people of one
sex are when compared to another and how you should treat one differently
than the other.

The same issues come into play when looking at:
"Support black power"
when changed to
"Support white power"

Just as above, if you find one to be palitable and other smell of racism,
then you are actively demonstrating a form of prejudice in racism similar
to the above.

This same lack of critical thinking in examining the methds used to sell
an idea are part of MS strategy and why they do so well with marketing
their OS. People frequently do not think about what they read. MS has
coined new phrases that mean very little to an active critical thinker.

"Microsoft gets you there faster."
Where do they get me? Did I really want to go there? Isn't being taken
somewhere against you will kidnpapping? If the location of "there" is
horribly hellish, why would I want to get there faster?

"Where do you want to go today?"
What business is it of yours where I want to go today, and why should you
want to know? (With the NSA and NT's NSA_KEY found in parallel with MS's
key perhaps they know where you have been and are now, but do not know
where you are going, but want to find out. ;-)

Happily, some people in the Linux community responded to the above simple
catchphrases. (Hey, if MS can spit out useless, popularized, feel-good
gibberish, why cant Linux users?)

"Where do you want to go tomorrow? - Linux" :-D

I am subscribed to a Linux User Group mailing list, and I wanna seem some
talk about Linux! Dont talk to me about sexism, racism, masochism (with NT
Admins), Satanism (worshiping Mr. gates), or show me pix of people (unless
they are using Linux.) You may show me sexy penguins wearing very little
clothing - uh, nevermind, but I want Linux talk piped through the radios,
TVs, and in text forums as well as my mailbox. If I wanted to hear about
the bad things that people do, I would subscribe to cnn.com or watch the
news, or see what our politicians have been doing lately.

Gimme Linux or give me dev-Linux!

Thanks for letting me waste your time,
-ME