Re: [vox] banner - README.1ST

Debi wrote:

> At 03:40 PM 6/22/01 , Mark K. Kim wrote:
>
> > Oh man~ we got minors on our list.
> >
> > -Mark
>
> And "we" have women who don't appreciate being viewed as objects or
> toys.  I've been thinking about joining, but now I wonder if this
> organization is for me...
>
> Here's a page for you, Gabe:
> http://www.cs.utk.edu/~bartley/other/10Things.html

*sigh*  My ex-girlfriend was a staunch and very stubborn femininist, so
I was hit by this quite a bit.  Yes, there *are* some problems in modern
society with discrimination towards women, but for the most part these
problems have been resolved (the Equal Pay is the biggest problem by
far), or relegated to a minor status.  On the flip side, men are now
scared *less about sexual harassment lawsuits; I have a friend who was
dragged up to HR for complementing a cute lass who *happened* to be a
co-worker on a really nifty silk blouse.  Nothing came of it -- but only
because my friend was gay.

The thing that bugs me is the double-standard; there can be an "office
hunk" and not an "office babe".

Yes, sex is everywhere.  Sex is a very basic desire, along the same
lines as hunger (although not as intense).  It is a part of who we are;
by denying it, we deny ourselves.  "Sex sells" just doesn't apply to
women, either -- ever see a Marlboro add?  Ads for Bowflex?  Men are
exploited the same way; and most men (and women) accept this as a
natural thing.

Violence against women?  Look at spousal abuse rates in Amsterdam --
they are much lower than the U.S.; yet prostitution is legal,
pornography can be purchased at 15, and gay marriage is completely
upheld.  Showing a model in a swimsuit holding a stuffed penguin
encourages violence...how?  Why doesn't it encourage violence against
stuffed penguins?

So am I for equality?  Yes.  Am I for the subjugation of men?  No.

--
Don Werve <donw@examen.com>
Jr. Unix System Administrator

"Fear is the mind-killer." (Frank Herbert)