Re: [vox] LUGOD advertisement...

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:28:13PM -0700, speck@blkmtn.org wrote:

> 3.  Nah, that's a myth.  NT Administrators don't cringe at Blue, we know how to properly install software so we see it about as often as Unix admins see a core dump.  It's END USERS or those who THINK they are admins playing with their systems and failing to view the README files that cringe at BLUE.

But that's *exactly* the point!  BSODs and coredumps are at completely
different levels!  UNIX coredumps are analagous to Windows blandly
announcing that your application has quit due to some unknown error
(except with coredumps you have a better chance of determining what
that error was); BSODs are analogous to full-on-kernel panics (uh,
actually, that's exactly what they are, by definition).  Okay, all you
Linux admins raise your hands if you've seen a kernel panic on a
non-development Linux station in the last three years?  :)

I haven't seen a kernel panic in years, and when I did, it was due to
bad hardware.

But working as an NT admin, I saw them about every other day.

Micah