Re: [vox] ZiO card reader!

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Mark K. Kim wrote:

> I got a ZiO SmartMedia card reader over the weekend so I tested it out.
> This is a device that can take a SmartMedia memory card and read it
> through the USB port.  It was a free deal when I purchased my Olympus 460Z
> digital camera that only has a serial port access.  I *wanted* the serial
> port access since accessing it from Linux is easier with serial port
> access, and getting a USB reader was a bonus.

How much do these normally cost? I'd like to buy one.

> Anyway, it works really well under Windows -- you just open the image and
> it just pops up on your screen!  I did a search on google to see if I can
> access it on Linux, and apparently you can using Linux 2.4.0 (and probably
> above) using some experimental kernel options.  I'm not ready to run Linux
> 2.4 yet (I'm not sure if my TV capture card works with 2.4 and I don't
> want to fudge with that right now... Gabe, do you use 2.4?) but I'm glad
> to know the option to use it under Linux is there if I want it badly
> enough.

Ya, I have the vd3500 tv working under 2.4.2, xfree4.01.

> Anyway, I wanted to let people know in case anyone was interested.  BTW,
> the USB card reader works through the new USB storage media feature in
> kernel 2.4.  That means USB zip drives and tape drives and such should
> work as well (or it will when it's stable.)

I'll need to look into that. The floppy drive on my laptop is usb...not that
I've _ever_ used the floppy drive :)
well, that's not true, I booted off the floppy to do the net install :)

-Gabe