Re: [vox] UPS

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Mister Resistor wrote:

> Out of curiosity, ... why would a cook care for Linux?  Where's the
> incentive?  Or are you raelly a technical person who just currently
> happens to know more about cooking?

I used to have this really crappy old 386 with some pathetic amount of
memory.  As the amount of software I needed increased, my ability to get
useful work out of my computer decreased.  Then, there were issues with
trying to dial in to the isun at UCDavis (I use the dial-up modem for
internet connectivity).  A friend of mine tried to help, but it was beyond
his expertise.  He said -- you need "Mike".

So Mike came over, and said -- you need "Debian".  Mike has very few
interests in life.  In fact, only two that I'm aware of:  Linux of type
Debian, and long-haired women.  He installed the Linux, and I already had
the long hair, so thus began my long relationship with Linux, and
not-so-long relationship with Mike.  However, many happy memories of
Mike still live with me, in the (current) form of 2.2.17 :)

> Don't flame me - I'm just curious.  I'm not asking for the recipe to the
> secret sauce here.

I'm only known as a cook in the Linux circle;  others probably think of me
more as a plant molecular geneticist.  In the last few years, the main
three areas of job opportunities for newly minted Ph.D.'s in my field have
been in: Bioinformatics, Bioinformatics, and Bioinformatics.  Desired
skills for these positions include working knowledge of Unix/Linux, and
some familiarity with Perl and SQL.  This accounts for my continued
interest in Linux.

I apologize for boring any vox subscribers who were hoping to glean some
technical information from this post, and instead ended up with A Brief
History of Christine. :)  So -- please don't flame me, I'm just ... verbose.

--Christine