2013 Mar 04 12:58

Re: [vox-tech] Clusters, renderfarms and MySQL,LAN projects using more than one Linux at a time

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on the book.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: timriley@appahost.com
Sent: Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:15am
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Clusters, renderfarms and MySQL, LAN projects using more than one Linux at a time

Processing times can be improved with data structures. I'm not sure
storing MySQL tables across
multiple machines will speed this up. The data travels across your
motherboard's bus
much faster than it will travel across the network and then your
motherboard's bus.
But as you said, it's a excuse to try clustering.

> I know that MySQL can be distributed across several different computers (asymmetric replication?) and so there is one project. But also it might be possible to distribute MySQL across several Linux machines in a Linus cluster and maybe both at the same time.

Check out the book titled, "MySQL Clustering" by Alex Davies and
Harrison Fisk.
http://www.amazon.com/MySQL-Clustering-Alex-Davies/dp/0672328550
It goes through the setup steps in nice detail.

I've never implemented a cluster, however, because running MySQL on a
single machine has always
fulfilled my needs. The only tweak I've needed is to store a 300 million
record table
on another machine through NFS. And short of a complete backup,
processes accessing
it take at most 15 minutes.

<snip>

Sent from Finest Planet WebMail.