2012 Oct 31 21:31

Re: [vox-tech] Overwhelmed with squid install on CentOS 5

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 04:20:43PM -0700, Ryan Northrup wrote:
>    Dave,
>
>    Normally (as far as I'm aware), this would be done with the "iptables"
>    command, adding that whole string as its arguments:

RedHat does run the command using the iptables command. But, you could certainly
run it from the command line as a good test. Do an

iptables -L

to see your rules. You should have a RH-Firewall-1-INPUT chain. If you don't
then that would be a problem.

>    # iptables -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state
>    NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -m tcp -p tcp --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT
>
>    Try running that in a terminal as root.
>
>    - Ryan
>    On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM, David Spencer
>    <[1]spencer@pageweavers.com> wrote:
>
>      I'm trying to install squid on one of my CentOS 5 servers. To do
>      this, I found a number of cookbook pages using google. Many of them
>      looked like this one:
>      [2]http://www.baremetalcloud.com/index.php/en/homepage/105-english/m
>      bcdocumentation/how-to/108-installing-squid-proxy-server-on-centos
>      Installing squid was easy enough. When I got to the last part about
>      updating the iptables file "/etc/sysconfig/iptables" with this:
>      -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -m
>      tcp -p tcp --dport 3128 -j ACCEPT
>      that was easy because that file was empty. However, when I tried to
>      restart iptables I got an error:
>      Applying iptables firewall rules: iptables-restore: line 1 failed
>      [FAILED]
>      There's too many moving parts here. Do I have a syntax error in the
>      iptables command or is there something else I just missed because it
>      wasn't in the cookbook. Any guidance is appreciated.
>      -- Dave Spencer
>
> References
>
>    1. mailto:spencer@pageweavers.com
>    2. http://www.baremetalcloud.com/index.php/en/homepage/105-english/mbcdocumentation/how-to/108-installing-squid-proxy-server-on-centos