2012 May 29 15:37

Re: [vox-tech] Cloning LVM volume over network

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 02:09:16PM -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 05/29/2012 11:36 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:

> >> I'd typically use rsync...  Fast and efficient :-)
> >
> > Assuming the lvm volume is mounted on both sides and you tunnel rsync over ssh.
> > If you are in an internal network, you could do it over rsh and avoid the crypto
> > overhead.
> >
> > cd /mnt/local
> >
> > Then use the the following from the rsync man page, clipped below.
> > rsync uses the -e option for ssh, but I don't quite have a machine to test it.
> >
> >  To synchronize my samba source trees use the following:
> >
> >                    rsync -Cavuzb . remote_machine:/mnt/local/
> >
> > It is clipped from where Tridgell talks abut syncing his samba shares using
> > a Makefile and samba source code for CVS commits.
> >
> > brian
> >

> I think the tricky part here is that the lvm volume may contain multiple
> partitions (I think it does have a / and a swap since it's a virtual
> machine disk), and I need the partition information, including the boot
> flags.

Hmm, with the Xen box I have configured, I have a logical volume per partition.
If I understand you correctly, you are putting more than one partition in each of
these logical volumes? What if you just put a partition per logical volume? This
way you can expand the logical volume and then the partition if need be while
the vm is running.

I use xen tools to create my vms. It automatically creates the logical volumes
for the new vm. The system I have running, Dom0 runs on Debian and the VMs
are also running Debian.

If for some reason I need to work on the VM while it is offline, I can mount it
using the following:

mount /dev/trout_pg/xen9.brie.com-disk /mnt/local

I am not sure if this will help in your situation but it might be worth consideration
for using an LV per partition.

root@trout:/home/brian# lvscan
  ACTIVE            '/dev/trout_pg/trout_lg0' [3.72 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/trout_pg/trout_lg_root' [37.25 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/trout_pg/xen9.brie.com-swap' [2.00 GiB] inherit
  ACTIVE            '/dev/trout_pg/xen9.brie.com-disk' [80.00 GiB] inherit

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/

Professor C. A. R. Hoare