2012 May 29 14:09

Re: [vox-tech] Cloning LVM volume over network

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 09:16:24AM -0700, Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> writes:
>
> > I'm looking for the most efficient way to clone an LVM volume 50GB from
> > one physical machine to another. Both machines must stay up, so that
> > rules out clonezilla. I'd also like it to be more efficient that dd, so
> > more similar to partimage or partclone where it skips the empty space
> > and only copies the filled part.
> >
> > Anyone have examples that show how to do this?
>
> I'd typically use rsync...  Fast and efficient :-)

Assuming the lvm volume is mounted on both sides and you tunnel rsync over ssh.
If you are in an internal network, you could do it over rsh and avoid the crypto
overhead.

cd /mnt/local

Then use the the following from the rsync man page, clipped below.
rsync uses the -e option for ssh, but I don't quite have a machine to test it.

 To synchronize my samba source trees use the following:

                   rsync -Cavuzb . remote_machine:/mnt/local/

It is clipped from where Tridgell talks abut syncing his samba shares using
a Makefile and samba source code for CVS commits.

brian

--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/