January 6: Social gathering
2012 May 11 09:41

Re: [vox-tech] Serious Xorg problem

I didn't think any video corruption was normal. In any case, by killing and restarting X, the problem went away. I'm running the nvidia driver, version 260.19.36, apparently from March of last year.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Bill Broadley <bill@broadley.org> wrote:
On 05/04/2012 03:13 PM, Richard Harke wrote:
> I'm at Panera bread using their wi-fi. After I logged in with panera,
> I opened another tab. Then a
> box-image (badly corrupted) from panera appeared over the second tab.
> Even worse this box now appears over all windows based applications,
> emacs and okular, in particular. It is still there
> even after I kill the application and re-start it. It also appears
> over the other browser I wasn't using at the time. This makes me
> believe it is something in Xorg. But as far as I can tell, no libs
> or bins were modified. This on debian squeeze for amd-64. (on an asus
> laptop) This is making the machine nearly unusable.

Sounds like a normal video corruption.  I'd logout and login.

Which graphics driver are you using?

Chipset?

For ATI and Nvidia the binary drive from ATI/Nvidia is generally the
more reliable.  Intel's opensource drivers have been pretty good lately.