2012 Apr 09 23:06

Re: [vox-tech] init scripts on Debian problems with upgrade

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 11:34:23AM -0700, Cam Ellison wrote:
> On 12-04-06 11:13 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> > After successfully adding Postfix which purged Exim, I decided to go back
> > and see if Exim4 could go back and purge Postfix. I still get the following
> > error. I guess I could just leave Postfix, but the curiousity kills me
> > to know why or how to get Exim4. I know that Exim 4 has a wizard to create the
> > configuration for a box that just needs a mail server for local purposes. Is
> > there a way to clear the error that blocks Exim 4?
> >
> > I used aptitude to select Exim4 which causes Postfix to purge
> >
> > piA  exim4-base                                                       +1712 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> > piA  exim4-config                                                     +1303 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> > piA  exim4-daemon-light                                               +1065 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> > --\ Packages being deleted due to unsatisfied dependencies (1)
> > id   postfix                                                          -3273 k 2.7.1-1+sq 2.7.1-1+sq
> > --\ Packages to be installed (1)
> > pi   exim4                                                            +61.4 k<none>      4.72-6+squ
> >
> > No, I hit 'g' to continue and I get the following error.
> >
> > +
> > ???E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under        ??????
> > ???   APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
> >

> I think you could have skipped the Postfix step - installing it and then
> replacing it, that is.  Have you tried dpkg --configure or
> dpkg-reconfigure?
>
> You may need to actually go into the update-exim4.conf.conf file and do
> it by hand.
>
> If you've not looked at it, it should be something like this:
>
> dc_eximconfig_configtype='local' (maybe 'smarthost' if you need smtp to
> an ISP)
> dc_other_hostnames='xxx.xx'
> dc_local_interfaces='0.0.0.0'
> dc_readhost=''
> dc_relay_domains=''
> dc_minimaldns='false'
> dc_relay_nets=''
> dc_smarthost=''
> CFILEMODE='644'
> dc_use_split_config='false'
> dc_hide_mailname='false'
> dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
> dc_localdelivery='maildir_home'
>

> Then run "update-exim4.conf'

When I did the purge, it said that qpopper was depending upon exim. I am not sure how that tied in.
Originally, this machine had Exim 3. I think you probably noticed that. So, now that Exim 4 is installed,
I can make the changes like you say. Once the debconfig (or whatever it was) ran, I just selected local
mail and then I think I did the config all in one file.

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/