2012 Mar 22 10:20

Re: [vox-tech] Rescuing NTFS partition

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012, Peter Salzman wrote:

> What exactly is the difference between dd (or ddrescue) which is how I
> normally rescued partitions in the past and ntfsclone?   Which tool
> would be more appropriate for rescuing as many files as possible?

dd doesn't care what filesystem is on the device, it just does a binary
clone of the device to a file. ddrescue works similarly, but it is
slightly modified in how it handles bad reads from the device.

Essentially, dd will make a brand new file for each time you run the
command (wiping out whatever the last run recovered), but ddrescue will
just alter the existing output file each time it is run (writing only the
data it can read that pass to the appropriate offsets within the file).
ddrescue will also circle back to bad sectors on each call and attempt
several more reads before giving up and exiting (there is an option to
make dd re-read bad sectors too). If you are having random bad reads with
the device, ddrescue's behavior is very beneficial.

Another big difference with dd and ddrescue is they copy the ENTIRE drive,
not just the used filesystem space like ntfsclone. That means your
destination drive has to have enough free space to hold the image file,
which will be at least as big as the original drive (perhaps slightly
larger due to block size differences). Since you said the drive was new,
I'm assuming 2GB was a typo and you actually meant 2TB. Having a
sufficiently large destination drive for the cloning will be your biggest
issue using these two tools.