Re: [vox-tech] Graphical Remote Login to Linux/KDE from WinXP

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 01:13:32PM -0500, Peter Salzman wrote:
> Sometimes when I work on my WinXP box I want to use my Linux box
> without being in front of the computer.  What I'd really like is to
> graphically remote login to Linux/KDE from WinXP, as in, open up a
> window containing a KDE login session from my WinXP box.  I'm already
> running MingW, and can use remote X apps like xeyes via Putty.
>
> I tried using Putty (with X-Forwarding and running /usr/bin/startkde
> upon login) but KDE crashes, and the problem seems pretty complicated,
> so I'd like to try a different way.
>
> My wife is almost always logged into the Linux box and is using KDE.
> I don't want to share her session, but use my own session.
>
> What the easiest/best ways of doing that?

I haven't seen xdmcp mentioned. You can configure xming to log into your
Linux box remotely. I believe it will do it over ssh using an embedded
putty. I thought that there were security implications though.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/

Here is a page of notes.
http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/

--