2011 Oct 22 16:38

Re: [vox-tech] Wi-Fi

On 10/21/2011 09:03 AM, Cam Ellison wrote:
> On 11-10-21 04:08 AM, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
>> I think that putting wlan0 in your interfaces file interferes with
>> proper function of automated tools like wicd.
> Perhaps, but that doesn't explain why it works with one network and not
> with another.
>
> Wicd does have a disconnect button.  When it finds an AP, it displays
> the information and provides both Connect and Properties buttons (and a
> checkbox for connecting automatically).  When you are connected, the
> Connect button changes to Disconnect.  Sorry for stating the obvious,
> but you did click on the Properties button and set the connection up
> properly, did you not?
>
> Cheers
>
> Cam

Historically I've found that if you want to use the GUI managers like
knetworkmanager or networkmanager (the gnome side and from what I've
heard works better), that you must not edit the interfaces yourself at
all. Everything must be done via the gui.

On the flipside yes it can all be done via the interfaces file, however
WPA supplicant is tricky to get working. I imagine WPA is the reason
your fav coffee shop with open worked and not your home network.

I have almost no issues getting on any network these days just letting
network manager do it's thing and occasionally going into the advanced
settings for a particular network via the gui. Mileage may vary though
depending on which wireless chipset you have though.

Enjoy,
Alex