2011 Oct 15 22:31

Re: [vox-tech] bibtex: get rid of ISSN, URL, DOI,etc from references

Re: [vox-tech] bibtex: get rid of ISSN, URL, DOI,etc from references

A bit of conceptual history, before I answer the question.

The very first system in LaTeX for typesetting bibliographies was the thebibliography environment. It didn't do anything special for typesetting -- it was just a glorified list environment. You had to format your bibliography entries and select the ones you wanted yourself. I mention this environment because it underlies the other latex bibliography systems in use today.

Bibtex was the first system to automatically select which bibliography entries to include and format them from a database. In Bibtex, you store your citations in a .bib file which defines the logical structure of each entry. When you compile a LaTeX file with Bibtex citations, something needs to determine entries from the .bib file are needed and how to format the. This something is the bibtex binary. After the first pass of compiling your .tex tile, the bibtex binary looks at the .aux file to determine which citations are needed, and uses instructions in a .BST bibliography style file to determine what they're supposed to look like on the page. The result is a .bbl file that contains a thebibliography environment which will be typeset in your final  LaTeX output.

Natbib is a LaTeX package that works with bibtex to give you more options about what the citation keys in your text look like. It requires style files that are compatbile with Natbib (to make a little more information available to the \cite command), but fundementally it's still the bibtex binary and the BST style file that format the bibliography entries.

BibLaTeX is an almost complete replacement for BibTeX. It still uses the .bib file to store information about bibliography entries, but it eliminates the BST file completely, and moves the work of formatting the .bib entries into a LaTeX .sty package. This allows one to pass options to the biblatex package that affect the way bibliography entries are formatted.

In BibTeX (with or without natbib), one changes the way bibliography entries are formatted by using a different BST file. You can either find an existing one that fits your needs, or you can edit an existing one to meet your needs (this might difficult -- the langauge for programming BST files is a pretty complicated stack-based language -- but I think that this kind of modification is actually pretty easy once you look inside a BST file), or you can use makebst generates a new BST file for you by asking lots of questions about what you want your bibliography to look like.

BibLaTeX is totally different an none of the answers to the tex.stackexchange question will help you with BibTeX (whether you're using natbib or not).

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com> wrote:
On 10/12/2011 03:12 PM, Thomas Johnston wrote:
> I am having the same problem as described here (i.e., I get unwanted
> URL's, DOI's, etc. in my references):
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/23117/biblatex-get-rid-of-issn-urls-and-dois-in-references
>
> I am fairly new to LaTeX and I don't understand the proposed solution
> and was wondering if someone could explain it more fully.
> Where should I use the options doi=false,isbn=false,url=""> > What is "the manual" referred to in the solution?
>
> I don't know if it matters or not, but I use bibtex (not biblatex
> mentioned in the link).
>
> If it helps, I have a default installation of texlive2011 (obtained
> from the CTAN website). I edit and compile tex documents using vim and
> vim-latexsuite. The bibliography style files I would like to use is
> named "unsrtnat". The only thing I have in my preamble that I think
> might possibly affect the citations is the line:
> \usepackage[square,comma,numbers,sort&compress]{natbib}
>
> Thomas

natbib is not bibtex or biblatex
try
\usepackage[square,comma,numbers,sort&compress,doi=false,isbn=false,url="">
Although check the natbib docs to see if those are valid options for
natbib. I recently switched to natbib and am quite happy with it but I
keep my urls in.

Thanks,
Alex