2011 Oct 03 15:44

Re: [vox-tech] Printer problem

On 10/01/2011 12:05 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 10/01/2011 07:28 AM, Bruce Wolk wrote:
>> I am going crazy trying to solve a printing problem.  I am running
>> Ubuntu 11.04 with GNOME using CUPS with an hp LaserJet 1300.  Printing
>> works fine from Thunderbird, LibreOffice, and several other programs.
>> Unfortunately, printing fails from Firefox.  When I try and print a web
>> page, the ready light on the printer flashes, the printer queue shows
>> "processing", and /var/log/syslog shows a continuous stream of:
>>
>> Sep 30 15:35:27 fermi hp[6224]: io/hpmud/musb.c 1420: unable to write
>> data hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1300?serial=00CNBB108322: 45 second io timeout
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Bruce
>
> Workaround, what happens if you print to file 1st ps or pdf and then
> send to the printer?
>
> Hopefully someone else will have a pointer to an actual fix though. Did
> this work in 10.04 or 10.10?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

Strangely enough, when I printed to a pdf file and then printed that
file it gave me three 45 second timeout messages as above, but then
eventually printed.  But when I then tried to print the same page
directly it actually did print after a two-minute delay, without any
timeout messages!  So my problem is not always reproducible.

Printing worked fine in 10.10.  I will experiment with different web
pages to see if the issue might be page dependent.

Bruce