2011 Aug 06 17:30

Re: [vox-tech] Boot 3 TB GPT grub2

On 08/05/2011 10:17 AM, Braden Pellett wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2011, at 4:57 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
>
>> Anyone know what tricks are required to get a GPT based 3TB drive to
>> boot with grub2 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS?
>
> I may be wading in here over my head, but when I had to do something similar with 2TB drives on a Debian Squeeze installation, I used "parted" to make a small (1 MB) initial "bios_grub" partition on the bootable drive (from parted, "set 1 bios_grub on"), then installed grub on that via "dpkg_reconfigure grub-pc".
>
>   - Braden

That is the solution that worked. The key is to do it before you try to
do the install. I used PartedMagic Live CD and then followed with the
Ubuntu install. Apparently grub2 finds the bios_grub flag and knows to
shove itself there for GTP instead of doing the usual MBR.

I plan to write up a more clear explanation and will post a link when
I'm done.

Thanks,
Alex