2011 Jun 30 11:39

Re: [vox-tech] Programming languages and the Haskell meeting

Re: [vox-tech] Programming languages and the Haskell meeting

Every time I use hashbang myprog in a data file I feel like I am building a special-purpose language. Just not shooting as high as you.
DCN:<jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:
I was initially excited about the Haskell presention, but at the end
I was sort of disappointed. It seemed like we got a lot of "This is
really good stuff", but I was looking for a little more of "show me
what you have done or are doing". But hey, I did learn about using let
for defining functions in ghci. That was good news. I had been always

I took a class on Programming Language Principles at Sac State where we
used SML to define the grammar, do static analysis, dynamic analysis,
and finally evaluate the program. The starting point for this was that we
manually derived the program in Bauchus Naur Form. SML is a functional
programming language and in the end, we could see the power of SML. Yet,
I have been eager to continue doing work in this area.

Here are few tools/resources I am excited abo ut and I would like to
share.

1. Most languages are constructed using a Context Free Grammar (CFG)
and ANTLR works has a graphical interface for laying out your rules.
It will construct the lexer and parser code too,
but beyond that, I don't think Java is the right tool.
http://www.antlr.org/download/antlrworks-1.4.2.jar
http://www.antlr.org/

2. I got a hold of Dan Friedman's book
"Essentials of Programming Languages". It uses Scheme and one
can use Dr. Racket (http://racket-lang.org/) that has a
EOPL (abbreviation for the book) mode.

3. I found that my thinking recursively could be improved, so I also
got Dan Friedman's book titled "The Little Schemer". It has
a lot of practical examples that I think really help look
a t things recursively, as seems to be essential in writing
a language.

Hopefully someday, I will have a language of my own. ;-)

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/