2011 Jun 23 19:18

Re: [vox-tech] Problems with missing 'missing' file

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Rick Moen wrote:

>> What's so obsessive about giving people the correct information....
>
> Ironically, your suggestion of using a literal CR is greatly broken.
> Check for yourself.

So wait, this whole argument is because I clarified that all the advice
given by you, and added upon by myself, rests on the assumption that the
OP meant a carriage return instead of literally a "\r" string?

I wasn't in any way saying to use a literal \r for the search string with
that very first sentence or that your vim command should use a literal \r.
I was merely letting the OP know that the advice rested on the assumption
that he meant carriage return and the advice would fail if that assumption
was false and he actually meant the literal "\r" (stranger things have
happened in code I've viewed over the years).

It certainly wasn't meant as an attack on your logic or your search
string. It was PURELY to enlighten the OP of the assumptions behind the
command before he acted on the advice....

This is why so few women are computer geeks. We get personally attacked
for trying to be crystal clear in our advice, because someone else takes
it as an attack on their logic, instead of the innocent clarification of
assumptions it was meant to be.