January 6: Social gathering
2011 Jun 14 19:47

Re: [vox-tech] (no subject)

Have you tried the SacLUG mauling list?

They are more local to you.

Sent from my iPhone4

On Jun 14, 2011, at 9:01 AM, "Dr. Denny Scronek" <paszeski@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello Brian. Thank you for the note. Let me tell you about my frustrations over the last week. First of all, I have a bad back and the idea of driving "somewhere" with my laptop and waiting around for the repair is not as attractive as someone coming to my place. Would save me a ton of genuine pain. The guy who was to repair my beast was suppose to come over on Monday (last week) and he completely blew me off without telling me. He did arrive on Tues. but stated that my internal CD/DVD burner was on the fritz and he didn't have a portable plug-in with him ... he would be back the next day ... which he again blew off. That is essentially my frustration ... people being flaky. My deal with him was for $85.00/hr. and he did't think it would take more than an hour but no guarantees; see how it goes. Anybody want to try a similar offer? If not I'm off to the Windows guy and I cross my fingers. Plus, I have to take my beast to him. My back will love that. So once again, anyone with genuine confidence in what they're doing? Not looking for miracles, just for competence and punctuality. The only guarantee I currently have is that I have a $1400. piece of useless equipment holding up a research project I want to get going. What fun.

--- On Mon, 6/13/11, Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com> wrote:

From: Brian Lavender <brian@brie.com>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] (no subject)
To: "lugod's technical discussion forum" <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Date: Monday, June 13, 2011, 6:40 PM

Dr. Scronek,

I suggest using Ubuntu on a stick. Boot with it. Copy your
data to an external drive. Run the "Install Ubuntu and wipe
it clean!" Start fresh.

Every consulting gig comes not only with potential for profit,
but also the risk of liability. We don't really know how bad
your system is, so I would say that anyone who agrees on a fixed
price may be in for more work that he initially bargained for, especially
considering that you are tired of fixing the problem and you may
have foobar'ed your system beyond wizard fixes.

brian