2011 Apr 30 23:02

[vox-tech] Problem Reinstalling GRUB2

I've got a GRUB problem.  Most of the stuff on the web talks about
reinstalling GRUB after a new Windows install.  My situation is slightly
different.

I've got Windows on /dev/sda1.  I've got my main Linux system (Ubuntu)
on /dev/sdb2.  I've got a spare Linux system (Kubuntu) on /dev/sdb3.

I just upgraded Kubuntu to 11.04.  After the upgrade the Kubuntu GRUB
took over.  So I can boot anywhere I want.  However, I want to set up
the GRUB for my main Linux system on /dev/sdb2 (where it used to be
before the Kubuntu upgrade).

I booted into /dev/sdb2 and executed this command (a command I modified
from one on a webpage which assumed that the execution would be done
from a LiveCD with the Linux partition mounted).

 grub-install --boot-directory=/boot /dev/sda1

This command generated this error message:

"/usr/sbin/grub-setup: warn: Attempting to install GRUB to a
partitionless disk or to a partition.  This is a BAD idea..
/usr/sbin/grub-setup: error: embedding is not possible, but this is
required for cross-disk install."

I don't really know where my computer boots from; the MBR on the Windows
partition, or /dev/sdb2.  I think it boots from the MBR.

Can anyone explain how I can reinstall GRUB to work from my main Linux
system on /dev/sdb2?

Thank you.

Bob