January 6: Social gathering
2011 Mar 14 21:52

Re: [vox-tech] Strange Install Fail

On Monday 14 March 2011, Shwaine wrote:

> No explanation, but I do have a hint for the next thing to try while
> debugging the issue. Drop down to a text console (CTRL-ALT-F1 or
> CTRL-ALT-F2)

Thanks for responding.  I've been Googling this problem and am surprised to
find that it is relatively common.  It's called "login loop."  One poster
gave these four causes:

1.  file system is full.

2. "sudo" prefix used to run KDE or Gnome packages (changes permissions on
~.Xauthority and ~.ICEauthority).

3.  "Root" ownership of files saved in user's home directory.

4.  Some forms of semi-broken video driver installation.

Other people give additional causes.  Oddly, some people say that if they
create an additional new user account the problem goes away.

I've got a two pronged plan.  First I'm going to update KDE on the partition I
don't use to get the newer kernels that create login loop in Kubuntu.  Then
I'll follow your suggestion to see what I can find.  If I develop the
confidence that I know what I'm doing, then I'll reinstall Ubuntu on my main
partition and try to fix things there.  (In other words I can practice on the
spare partition because it doesn't matter if I screw up.)

If that doesn't work, then I'll go to the next installfest and make this
Alex's problem.

I also had another thought.  When I do a new install I never reformat the
partition with /home.  Over the years a bunch of configuration files collect
there.  I'm thinking that in future installs I should backup my documents and
the configuration files I want to save, and then format /home.  Then after
the install I'll move things back into /home.  I'm wondering if I've got
configuration files in /home that are causing problems with new
installations.

Bob