2011 Mar 12 09:41

Re: [vox-tech] Two Install Questions

1) looks like an empty, formatted hard disk. "lost+found" is a normal part of the formatting of a partition that is used by fsck to put files in during recovery. It is normally owned by root in case the file (s) stored there had been private to the user.

2) I made a similar decision last year.
DCN:<jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> Basics: ##.#. ##.#. Live Go...
Live: OO#.. Dead: OO#.. Playing

Bob Scofield <scofield@omsoft.com> wrote:
I've been running Kubuntu Hardy on my laptop and desktop.  I've frozen myself  at KDE 3.5.  But some updates ruined Kubuntu on my laptop and I installed
Ubuntu 10.10 on the laptop.  Because I like it so much, I've decided to  install Unbuntu 10.10 on my desktop.  This has led to two questions.

1)  During the install I am told that I have a partition called "dev/sdb1" in  ext3.  I had no idea what that could be.  So I aborted the install, and went  into Kubuntu to find out.  dev/sdb1 was not mounted.  But by  executing "fdisk -l" I got this:

/dev/sdb1               1        1306    10490413+  83  Linux

So I mounted it to see what it was.  It's an empty directory  called "lost+found."

What is that there?  What does lost+found do?  Why do I need it?

2)  During my laptop install I was given the choice of ext3 or ext4.  Given my  level of expertise, I'd never heard of ext4.  By Googling, I learned that  ext4 came out in 2008.  So you can see where I'm at.

I didn't see any negative comments about ext4 so I used it.  I'll have the  same choice when I install on my desktop.  I assume that ext4 is the best  choice.  Is that right?

Thank you.

Bob
vox-tech mailing list vox-tech@lists.lugod.org http://lists.lugod.org/mailman/listinfo/vox-tech