2011 Mar 08 19:09

Re: [vox-tech] Netflix

> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Netflix
> From: Alex Mandel <tech_dev@wildintellect.com>
> Date: Sun, March 06, 2011 11:24 pm
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
>

> Some Android...
> http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/android_owners_netflix_has_good_news_and_bad_news.php
>
> It's all about the DRM
> http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/opensource/the-netflix-linux-conjecture-how-netflix-snubs-the-linux-community/1745

I think the key sentence in this interview is:
"... DRM is critical and we won’t do without it as we’re serious
about protecting the
copyright of our studio partners’ content."

Netflix had to sign a contract with the movies' copyright owners.
Netflix also pays
royalties to them. Probably, these studios have placed restrictions on
Netflix to
ensure that no one can tap into the movie player's source code and
convert their
movies into a format that could be freely copied.