2011 Feb 22 09:36

Re: [vox-tech] Laptop for linux

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Richard Harke wrote:

> My laptop died so I am looking for a new one. I'm sure many people on
> this list have opinions about this. I thought an Asus N82JQ looked good
> -- i7 processor with Nvidia 335M graphics but then its battery life is
> not too good. Can anybody suggest something with good processing power,
> Nvidia graphics and not too terrible battery life? Also, I don't want
> too large, 14" screen looks to be good. I will be installing linux, of
> course.

I'm quite happy with my Asus U35F, although I went with the one that just
has integrated Intel HD graphics (the U35Jc has nVidia 310M). It gets
about 8-9 hours battery life with moderate use, but only a little over 4
hours if I really hammer it with something like a virtual machine running
a game. You might want to look around at Asus's U-series laptops and see
if something sparks your interest. That's where the longer battery life
models tend to be for Asus.