2011 Feb 15 08:05

Re: [vox-tech] Apache: 2, Me: 0.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Nick Schmalenberger
<nick@schmalenberger.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:31:58AM -0500, Peter Salzman wrote:
>> Third time is a charm, perhaps.  I'm trying to get Apache to work.
>>
>> I can access dirac.org successfully from inside my network; I can't
>> access it from outside my home network.  Apache is running on a Linux
>> box on satan: 192.168.0.2 and I'm testing it from a MS Windows machine
>> on lucifer:192.168.0.3.  My ISP is optimum online.  Here are some
>> clues.
>>
> Are you on ppp or pppoe? When you try to telnet in from outside,
> you should be able to do GET / HTTP/1.0 and the server will
> respond, but instead the connection closes. This makes me think
> that a small connection is working but not for more data, and
> maybe path mtu discovery and/or tcp maximum segment size
> negotiation are broken because pppoe has an mtu of 1492 instead
> of the ethernet mtu of 1500. It might be wrong, but I think being
> able to get response headers from the server over telnet from
> outside would be the next progress to make in troubleshooting it.
> Nick

Hi Nick,

No, not on PPPOE or PPP.   When I try to telnet to port 80 in from the
outside, I don't get anything.  The packets get forwarded to the right
port on the right server, but Apache isn't picking up the phone at
all.

Do you have other ideas I might be able to try?  I'm really stumped on this!

Thanks!
Pete