2011 Jan 28 13:59

[vox-tech] Backup User Permissions

A regular user. (Actually, the user number doesn't matter.)
I recommend, also, to create a group with the same name.
Make sure the user id and group id are the same on
both machines.

> Question 2 is how do I make sure it has permissions to read the logs?
> It appears that most of /var/log/apache2 files are root:adm but some are
> root:root. If they were all g+r for adm then just adding my backup user
> to the adm group should work?

It's best to set the log directory's group to apache's group and then
turn on the directory's write permissions for the group. Something like:

cd /var/log/apache2
sudo chmod g+rwxs .
sudo chmod o-rwx .
ls -lad .
drwxrws--- 2 root www-data 4096 2011-01-24 08:11

Finally, add your backup user to the www-data group in /etc/group.

> Looks like I need to go figure out why some logs have a different group.

With the "chmod g+s ." command, you're telling the filesystem to assign
to all new files the group www-data, since www-data is the group of
the directory.