January 6: Social gathering
2011 Jan 19 10:27

Re: [vox-tech] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS upgrade woes

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 19:00 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Chanoch (Ken) Bloom (kbloom@gmail.com):
>
> > He wants *only* the dotfiles (and none of the regular files)
> [...]
> > That's why he changed it to the following, which requires there be a
> > non-dot character after the dot
> >
> >     tar zcfv dotfiles.tar .[!.]*
>
> $ cd /tmp
> $ touch ..foo
> $
>
> ;->
>
> (Yes, '.[!.]*' is nonethless a pretty good solution, among a myriad of
> imperfect ones.)

That is, unfortunately the problem with the shell -- the best you can
come in most cases is an imperfect solution.

Look how many answers people came up on StackOverflow when I asked the
best way to tell whether or not a glob matched any files.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2937407/test-whether-a-glob-has-any-matches-in-bash