Re: [vox-tech] voip solution

Thanks to Chris and Tony. Chris, I looked into skype site, but I still don't know, if I go with Skype, will I have a hardline number which other people can call me back? Sound like a silly question.

Tony, I guess your solution is interesting, I am still studying the two links you gave me, it might be the way to go for me.

Thanks again,
Hai

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Tony Cratz <cratz@hematite.com> wrote:
On 12/23/2010 11:58 AM, Chris wrote:
> Try skype.
>  Thttp://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux.

       Skype can be a good solution. It does have limits. Depending on
       what you use plan requires.

       If your use plan is where you have your own PBX then maybe a
       solution such as Asterisk might be what you are looking for.

       Asterisk can be used to connect to remote VoIP servers or VoIP
       phones (hard or softphones), or even to a POTS (plain old
       telephone system). Depending on what you require you may need
       either an interface card or ATA (analog telephone adapter).
       Myself I like to have an Ethernet ATA instead of using an
       interface card, and the reason for this is it is not dependent
       on the type of computer it is being used on like an interface
       card (meaning the edge connector on the card) can be.

       In any case http://www.voip-info.org/ will become your friend
       and sites such as http://www.voipsupply.com/ for hardware.

       As a person who had an Asterisk PBX in the past I really loved
       having it. I had mine set-up to give the 'your call may be
       monitored or recorded' statement to everyone unless they where
       in my white list. This was great at getting rid of SPAM calls.
       Another thing was the black list I had. The black list was great
       for those callers who don't honor the Do not call list (such as
       political parties, ex-friends/lovers, creditors, people who
       always dial the wrong number (I should note my house phone
       number has been the same for the past 45 years and I really hate
       people telling me it belongs to someone else just because they
       hit the wrong digit ever time they try to call the person they
       ask for)). Another solution might be if you have kids and you
       want to force calls after say 9PM to go to voice mail. A good
       solution for people who rent might be the option to set-up
       different extensions and voice mail boxes for members of the
       household ... press 1 for Bob, 2 for Tom, 3 for Harry and so
       on.

       I feel everyone should have their own PBX on their landlines.
       Yes I know a lot of people are moving to cell phones as their
       primary phone. But there are still areas where cell phones
       don't work. And I like to keep some things more private so I
       use the landlines instead of cell phones. For example the
       default number I give out is the landline and not the cell
       phone number. Then I use my own set of lists to filter people.

                                                       Tony