Re: [vox-tech] Problem with Gigabyte 890FX, Phenom II, and Kubuntu

On 10-12-08 03:26 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Cam Ellison (cam@ellisonet.ca):
>
>> On another list that I frequent, the two responses thus far both
>> suggested replacing or swapping out the PS.  I have to admit the idea
>> has merit, though it's an Antec Signature 650, came new with the rest of
>> the system, and over $200 here including the taxes.  I'm a little leery
>> of ending up with a good, but effectively useless, PS.  Which leads to
>> another question: how do you test a PS?  Is it possible?
> I'm sure it's possible (at least in theory), but I never have tried.
> I've always just tried to keep around at least one of each major type
> with a piece of masking tape on it labelled 'known good as of [date]',
> and swap those into systems where I suspect the PSU.
>
> If the PSU is generally functional, then in my experience the usual
> question is whether it is too weak for the current draw asked of it.
> (In a perfect world, you would be able to believe manufacturer ratings,
> but of course they lie and exaggerate, and also doubtless some PSUs
> achieve their claimed ratings better loaded with some impedance types
> than others.)
>
> Antec PSUs are on the short list of ones I have faith in, generally.
>

> I have a confession to make:  I really didn't pay much attention to this
> thread until I saw Brian mention CTCS (Cerberus), with which I have a
> great deal of experience.  I've just now re-read your original posting
> to get the context for all this.
>
> That having been done, I think the suggestion of a (say, overnight)
> Cerberus run has a lot to recommend it.  Cerberus puts a system under
> very, very serious load, which is the rationale for its use to
> stress-test newly constructed systems on the VA Linux Systems production
> line:  It exposes most hardware flaws through thrashing the hell out of
> pretty nearly every hardware subsystem in the host.
That sounds like the way to go.  I've downloaded and unzipped it.  Now
to grab a new kernel (this is a Kubuntu box, and there are only header
files) and set things for this weekend, maybe.
> Your description (halted suddenly, no output, coldboot required) doesn't
> sound a-priori like a RAM problem.  It's conceivable that it's a
> software problem, but my instinct says hardware is more likely.  That
> instinct says it's likely to be something with either the motherboard +
> CPU or with the PSU.
Fortunately, they're within warranty.  Unfortunately, enough time has
passed that it will mean shipping to the manufacturer.  Too bad I didn't
know about CTCS earlier - I guess that's for next time, if there is one. :-p

With regard to the rest of your email (snipped out), I'll try that if
nothing comes from CTCS.  Two halts five weeks apart doesn't give me
much to work with.

I did try dmidecode on the PS, but drew a blank, perhaps not
surprisingly.  On the basis of your instincts, plus my own suspicions
and previous experience (now that I think about it), I'm beginning to
suspect the PSU.  Time for some negotiation with the supplier, I think.

Thanks again

Cam