Re: [vox-tech] Problem with Gigabyte 890FX, Phenom II, and Kubuntu

On 10-12-08 10:40 AM, Brian Lavender wrote:
> You might also want to try sar. Here is an interesting article.
>
> http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/114224
I am not familiar with it, so I've downloaded it and started it, and
will get ksar as well (so I can get a better handle on the output), and
have a go.  On *Ubuntu it's part of a package called sysstat.  It does
look quite interesting, not to mention comprehensive - the man page goes
on forever,
> brian
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 10:00:32AM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:
>> Check the system event logs in the motherboard bios. Sometimes listed
>> under SEL. Otherwise, I would stress test the machine. I used to run ctcs
>> to burn in systems for a cluster I worked on for LLNL. It does memory,
>> io, and cpu stress tests.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/
This is my only machine, and it's a production machine, so I'm not sure
about taking it out of service to run ctcs2 (thanks Rick!).  It may be
worth a trial, nonetheless, in the wee hours of weekend morning.  As to
the system event log, I just ran dmidecode, and it shows no errors.
Mind you, this is 32 hours later, with a reboot in between, so anything
that was current then may have been over-written.
>> You could also try lm-sensors to monitor the hardware.

I have lm-sensors installed.  The only thing I can access on this MB is
one temperature setting.  Mind you, I've only relied on gkrellm to find
them, though with other MBs it's been pretty good at sussing them out.
I'll run the setup utility and see what I can find.  Voltage variability
might be the culprit, I suppose.

I still wonder if it's a software issue with the various cron jobs that
run at that time, and I'm still working through.

Anyway, thank you very much for these ideas - they're a considerable help.

Cam