[vox-tech] Idea for 'tee' -- shut up already!

[vox-tech] Idea for 'tee' -- shut up already!

So I'm grepping & cut'ing a huge log file (6.4 million lines)
and made the mistake of deciding to pipe it through "tee" to
watch for a while.  I forgot to do this from within a "screen"
session, so I'm kind of stuck staring at it in a terminal.  *sigh* :)

I don't want to watch any more, and wish I could do something like,
I dunno maybe like this...?

  $ cat hugefile.log | grep whatever | cut -f 1,2,3 | tee output.txt
  {huge dump of data}
  ^Z
  [1]+  Stopped    cat hugefile.log | grep whatever | cut -f 1,2,3 | tee output.txt
  $ kill -SIGUSR1 %1

And then resume:

  $ fg
  {wonderful silence}

or background:

  $ bg
  [1]+    cat hugefile.log | grep whatever | cut -f 1,2,3 | tee output.txt &
  $

In other words, a way to tell tee to "shut up" and stop dumping to stdout
any more (but keep copying from stdin to the file specified).

I wonder, is there any other Linux'y trick I can use in the meantime?
(Maybe fiddling in /proc ? ;) )

Sent from my computer