2010 Nov 08 19:56

Re: [vox-tech] Which distro for file/print/web server

On 11/08/2010 07:33 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev@wildintellect.com):
>
>> Good Call, I did look a little at finding a drive case that was both
>> eSata and usb. The drive case was the cheapest part by far but esata/usb
>> isn't so common. I'm not sure if the board in between would still be an
>> issue. If I happen to come upon a good deal on such a case I might try
>> it. Anyone have an external eSata they could try to get SMART data on?
>
> All libata drivers support SMART -- which is what one would expect,
> given that libata leverages the kernel's SCSI layers.
> https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_Feature_Table
> (The particular SATA interface, internal vs. eSATA, is not an issue.)
>
> For SATA drivers that aren't part of Jeff Garzik's libata collection,
> you would have to check the particulars of those drivers.  But I expect
> most people would use libata drivers.

Ha, turns out I did get a case with eSata, didn't realize it until I
started shopping for another case and went "That looks familiar"...
Just need to find a cable now to try it. I'll let you know how it goes.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173043

Alex