2010 Nov 08 19:33

Re: [vox-tech] Which distro for file/print/web server

On 11/08/2010 05:18 PM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alex Mandel (tech_dev@wildintellect.com):
>
>> The big downside I realized today, you can't get any HD stats on an
>> external USB drive(smartmontools). So I've got no health monitoring of
>> the disk.
>
> Thanks for posting.  Fascinating stuff.
>
> I realise you won't want to re-do the design -- which sounds terrific
> with that one proviso -- but I notice the Zotac box also has one eSATA
> port.  It strikes me that that eSATA might be The Right Thing.
>
> What I'm hoping to find, as an eventual replacement for my 2001-era
> 2U server, is a good nettop box with a pair of eSATA connectors.

Good Call, I did look a little at finding a drive case that was both
eSata and usb. The drive case was the cheapest part by far but esata/usb
isn't so common. I'm not sure if the board in between would still be an
issue. If I happen to come upon a good deal on such a case I might try
it. Anyone have an external eSata they could try to get SMART data on?

Thanks,
Alex